Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's better late than never

Another one more week to go and I am going to get rid from all these hectic student life! My next step in life after this would be a job hunting activity during economic slump period! (That sounds tough) Wow. Time passes by so quickly and sometimes I feel my life changing drastically. Looking back to my old life, and there’s not an inch that I regret of. My past made me of who I am now.

As far as I can remember, my family never approved me as a cook in our home. I always spoiled the meal when I tried to cook it alone. Even my little sister is way too good to compare with me. Hence, if I helped everybody at home to prepare our meal, I knew exactly my job; standing in front of the sink waiting for the dishes to wash them. Once, when my mother went for an outstation, my little sister was sitting for SPM paper and my elder sister was working in KL. There’s no one to cook for our dinner. I downloaded a recipe from internet and cooked a meal for my dad and my sister. I went out to the nearest supermarket to buy ingredients for “curry chicken”. That was a perfect time to show my dad I am capable to handle this job.

By the time when my dad arrived home, I said to him “Dad,we don’t have to eat outside today. I have prepared a special meal for us tonight. On the table just before we recite our “doa” before eating, I heard my dad laughed out loud and he said “Is this an overheated barbecue mar?” I said “NOOO. This is a special curry chicken recipe which I downloaded from internet”. When my dad asked me gently to try it first, I was shocked and petrified!!! How could I cook something tasted so badly like this? Not only the chickens were overcooked but I put too much curry and ketchup into it when my mom informed me later on “We don’t put ketchup in curry dear”. God! Finally two days in a row we had our meal outside. That is why my dad always worried of me when I said I want to get married.

I always assumed life as a wife required me to cook and probably my husband will do the laundry; but today, suddenly I discovered it can be the other way around. As my parents-in laws are not around since last 2 days my husband offered himself to cook lunch for both of us. He cooked two meals for us and I cannot deny that the taste was really good. It’s totally wrong for me to underestimate him all these while. Maybe my husband is more talented than me and I'll definitely take this chance to let him teach me to be a better cook. :-)

Even though I am married now, I still called my mom obediently every time when I want to cook something for my new family here and will never failed to let her know how well I cooked for them. From what I have been observed from the past 5 months, my skills have improved somehow. (Wink!Wink!)I know I still have a long journey to master in cooking skills but my perseverance will never let me down. As the old saying goes “It is better late than never

6 comments:

  1. Kema, I recommend watching lots of cooking shows from the Discovery Travel& Living channel & also the AFC channel (though I find the latter to a bit boring)for some inspiration on cooking! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep on writing. u r a terrible cook.akmar spend 20 -30 mins just to peel few onions.imagine how starving people will b if she decided to cook.phewww....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rahimah: Thanks Imah.If those shows can really help me to improve myself I better watch them consistently onwards :D

    Ani: Yup. I'm trying my best not to disappoint people anymore. Wait me till i'm home and i'll show you my new skill! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. kema,don't worry...i'm a terrible cook either(remember my peanut butter cookies?)...like u said,practice makes perfect...so,let's keep on trying..

    ReplyDelete
  5. ehehe awak masak sedap ape... remember ur kuih melaka/ buah melaka (ke kuih lain? huhu tak ingat)u made for usrah? sodapp ;) although, im starting to wonder how lah cook guided by intenet recipe also can go wrong? hmm.. i've done that many times ady, but ok wat, takpe practice makes perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. raihan: I think your butter cookies were not that bad.Cheer up!

    Aalaa: Yes, I was just so naive back then. I thought if i put some ketchup on it, it would be like "mamak curry" coz the color of their curry is a bit combination of black + chocolate + spicy red,isn't it?? hahahah. Btw, i'm gonna bake my special chocolate cake on our next meeting. Don't miss it !!

    ReplyDelete